On April 1, Walgreens unveiled a new myWalgreens donation feature, which allows myWalgreens members to donate Walgreens Cash rewards directly to local nonprofits in their community via Walgreens.com or the myWalgreens app., and the “This Is Our Shot” campaign with John Legend to remind Americans that the vaccine is the nation’s opportunity to help bring an end to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“At Walgreens, we aim to make a positive impact on the communities in which we serve every day. That’s why we are thrilled to offer this simple but innovative opportunity to support the unique and local needs of every community in America through the work of hundreds of local nonprofit partners,” said Alyssa Raine, group vice president of customer marketing platforms, Walgreens. “Launching this new donation capability with in/PACT allows Walgreens and our customers to give back to organizations with similar values and improve the overall well-being of local communities.”
in/PACT and Walgreens Cash Rewards Donations
Walgreens collaborated with in/PACT, a charitable giving platform that empowers customers to direct rewards (as well as Walgreens cash rewards) to charities of their choice, and the GoodCoin Foundation, to create and launch the cloud-based charitable giving solution within its loyalty program, allowing the company and its more than 100 million loyalty members to give back directly to the communities where they live.
Throughout the year, hundreds of local nonprofit partners from across the country will appear on myWalgreens, the largest health and well-being centered loyalty platform, as charities of choice. The nonprofit organizations are selected as they align to Walgreens broader community strategy focused on youth, community & social impact, and health equity.
“We see ourselves as being part of the movement to democratize giving. Part of that is creating more opportunities for more people to give more often to more charities,” said John McNeel, co-founder and CEO, in/PACT.
“There’s no doubt that large, national nonprofits do important work, but we specifically showcase the work that local nonprofits are doing in their communities. On that notion of democratizing giving, an important part of our platform with Walgreens is that we are not only able to help people in their communities give, but we also help with the discovery and education around local nonprofits and the important work they’re doing.”
“This is Our Shot”
The campaign was launched on Sunday, April 4, with a television commercial featuring Legend’s voice. “Getting vaccinated against COVID-19 is our shot at getting back to the moments that matter most—time with friends, live concerts and family barbeques,” Legend said. “I am proud to team up with Walgreens to encourage everyone to get their COVID-19 vaccination, and help reach communities hit hardest by the pandemic.”
While more than 97 million people in the U.S. have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, Walgreens recognizes some may still be hesitant and understands the need to help address individuals’ personal experience and situation. Together with credible voices—including celebrities, influencers, faith-based organizations, community leaders and Walgreens pharmacists—Walgreens can play an important role in helping to build trust in the vaccine.
Working with Legend builds on Walgreens multi-faceted approach to ensure consumers are empowered to make an informed decision about getting the vaccine and have equitable access, including:
- Establishing the Vaccine Equity Initiative to drive equitable access to vaccines, including creating new access solutions, facilitating educational programs that address hesitancy and fostering partnerships that best meet the needs of each community;
- Advancing Walgreens and Uber’s efforts in collaboration with the Chicago Urban League and other partners to grow confidence in COVID-19 vaccines and provide free rides in socially vulnerable communities where transportation may be a barrier;
- Joining the Ad Council and COVID Collaborative’s COVID-19 Vaccine Education Initiative in an effort to help raise awareness about the importance of COVID-19 vaccines in reducing community spread, most recently contributing to PSAs featuring Walgreens pharmacists;
- Collaborating with trusted voices like influencers and community leaders to ensure customers have the latest information at their fingertips– for example, Anita Jenkins, CEO of Howard University Hospital;
- Hosting off-site COVID-19 vaccination clinics in more than 100 underserved communities across the nation; and
- Leaning into Walgreens approximately 59,000 trained immunizing pharmacy team members to provide patients with relevant, personalized information about the COVID-19 vaccine.
“Walgreens pharmacists are trusted healthcare resources in the communities they serve and can help build trust in the vaccine, and John Legend lends another credible voice and mass appeal to our campaign to encourage everyone to get the COVID-19 vaccine once eligible,” said Patrick McLean, senior vice president and chief marketing officer, Walgreens. “Since the first vaccines were authorized in December, Walgreens has administered more than 8 million vaccines to vulnerable patients across the country and is ready to vaccinate communities through our more than 9,000 store locations once the vaccine is available to the general population.”