This is true that erectile dysfunction is a sexual problem in men, but at the same time, no one can deny that it is not only a man who suffer or experience dissatisfaction due to the occurrence of erectile dysfunction. It is his partner who too is affected by experiencing dissatisfaction due to her partner’s sexual problems. A healthy sexual relationship is considered to play an important role in keeping a relationship healthy.
Erectile dysfunction is the most common type of sexual dysfunction in men, which sometimes known as impotence. It affects the lives of millions of men and their partners. It is defined as a condition in which a man experiences his ability to attain and maintain erections that are enough to fulfill the sexual needs of his partner. Even though a man has a strong desire to perform a sexual act, he is unable to do it due to the absence of an erection. There are many causes of erectile dysfunction:
- Physiological problems – Erection requires a series of events and when any of these events is disturbed, erectile dysfunction can occur. A response in the muscles, fibrous tissues, nerve impulses in the brain, and functioning of arteries are some of the events that surround erectile function.
- Hypogonadism – It is a medical term used to describe a low level of testosterone in the body. Testosterone is the primary male sex hormone which is essential for normal sexual function. It has been noticed that the insufficient level of testosterone is the main cause of many men who complain of erectile dysfunction.
- Mental exertion – In modern times stress has become a normal part of living, but when this stress becomes prolonged, it affects health, including sexual health. Mental exertion that includes stress, lack of sleep, and anxiety could be a possible cause of erectile dysfunction.
- Consumption of harmful substances – Intake of illicit drugs, tobacco, or excessive alcohol are also associated with the development of erectile dysfunction. These harmful substances contain many compounds that impair erectile function.
- Certain diseases – There are certain diseases that can contribute to the development of sexual dysfunctions. Some of the diseases include neurological disorders, Parkinson’s disease, endocrine disorders, diabetes, and depression.
Role of nitric oxide in erectile function
Nitric oxide is considered to be a principal vasodilator in the penis. It has a significant role to play on physiological processes, pathology of various diseases, and in the functioning of the brain and cardiovascular system. Dysfunction in the release of nitric oxide is associated with the development of multiple health problems, including erectile dysfunction.
There are many reactions that are involved in the erection of muscles, in which nitric oxide is utilized. Corpora cavernosa the main erectile tissue, makes up the body of the penis. Erection consists of dilation of arteries of the penis and in turn blood flows and fills the spaces in the erectile tissue. Erectile function requires an adequate flow of blood to the penile region.
Nitric oxide activates guanylyl cyclase which is present in the cell membranes. This leads to an increase in cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) which causes relaxation of smooth muscles of the corpora cavernosa and allows the inflow of blood.
Drugs to treat erectile dysfunction
There are many drugs available in the market for the treatment of erectile dysfunction. Phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors are the best known class of drugs of its treatment. It includes many drugs such as Cialis, Viagra, and Levitra, which work similarly and efficiency level of each drug differ. These drugs work by increasing the release of nitric oxide in the blood and increasing the flow of blood in the penile region.
Natural ways to treat erectile dysfunction
There are many natural herbs that are known to have the ability to cure erectile dysfunction. Some of the herbs are as follows:
Multiple studies have suggested that garlic can treat erectile dysfunction. Garlic is one of the oldest herbal medicines which is known to have magical properties. Garlic has a pronounced aphrodisiac effect which is a tonic for the loss of sexual power. A buildup of cholesterol in the arteries is one of the causes of erectile dysfunction. The cloves of garlic have the power to reduce cholesterol level in the blood and prevents the occurrence of problems in attaining an erection.
Also, the cloves of garlic are used to treat impotence. The extracts of garlic stimulate the release of nitric oxide. Garlic is reported to exert some of the therapeutic properties by increasing nitric oxide production in the body.
Arginine is a safe amino acid which is widely used in the treatment and prevention of multiple health problems, including erectile dysfunction. Arginine is considered to be a precursor of nitric oxide which helps in increasing the flow of blood in the penile region by causing smooth muscle relaxation. Not only this, but arginine is also effective in preventing the effects of diseases that could cause problems with erection.
Arginine also affects the production of testosterone in the body. It increases its production. Lack of testosterone is one of the common causes of erectile dysfunction.
Yes!! It is not known to many that tomatoes contain many health promoting properties. Tomatoes are considered to be one of the richest sources of lycopene, which is a powerful antioxidant. Lycopene is very powerful and has the ability to delay the negative effects of many psychological problems on the body.
Stress is one of the psychological problems which affects the blood vessels and arteries, including the arteries that flow blood to the penile region. Tomatoes stop the effects of stress on the arteries.
Multiple studies have stated that watermelon can be said as an effective fruit to treat erectile dysfunction. The extracts of watermelon are known to contain many properties that enhance sexual health. It contains an aphrodisiac property which has long been known to increase sexual desire and desired function. Watermelon also enhances the increase of nitric oxide and the importance of nitric oxide in attaining erections is well stated.
Guest author: Carla Houston
can usually be found reading a book. Carla completed her Master’s Degree in Creative writing from Syracuse University, New York. She is a content development manager and loves to write on health, lifestyle, fitness, yoga, food. Writing for a reputed health magazine is always on her bucket list. Carla loves cooking, knits very badly, enjoys riding her Vespa around town, and otherwise spends far too much time at the computer. She lives in New York, with her family.